Friday, November 17, 2017

Strawberry Sally / Fresa Sally

La versión español está después de la versión inglés.

AS IF CHEF Robbie didn't spoil us enough, when he's not working we've got [Chef] Strawberry Sally. While Chef Robbie's specialty is ensuring we have our daily serving of fruit (hidden in cakes and pies), Strawberry Sally's specialty (other than strawberries and cream, which I'll tell you about in a moment) is soup.

Our first sampling of Strawberry Sally's soup skills was a bowl of butternut squash and red pepper soup. Superb.

Every year, during the Wimbledon Championships (that's tennis, you know), Strawberry Sally is famous for heading up the team responsible for preparing and serving strawberries and cream (hence her nickname), a Wimbledon tradition since 1887 (although Sally has only been doing it for the past 9 years).

Yesterday morning, we got to experience Strawberry Sally's shortbread. Another of her specialties. Stupendous! And she said she's going to designate Wednesday as shortbread day especially for us. I've recently taken to calling her Strawberry Shortcake, but I suppose anything delicious that starts with "S" will do.

COMO SI EL Chef Robbie no nos haya echado a perder lo suficiente, cuando él no está trabajando tenemos a la [Chef] Strawberry Sally (Fresa Sally). Si bien la especialidad del Chef Robbie es garantizar que tengamos nuestra porción diaria de fruta (escondida en tartas y pasteles), la especialidad de Strawberry Sally (aparte de las fresas y la crema, de la cual le hablaré en un momento) es sopa.

Nuestra primera muestra de las habilidades de Strawberry Sally fue un plato de sopa de calabaza y pimiento rojo. Magnífico.

Cada año, durante los campeonatos de Wimbledon (eso es tenis, ya sabes), Strawberry Sally es famosa por dirigir el equipo responsable de preparar y servir fresas y nata (de ahí su apodo), una tradición de Wimbledon desde 1887 (aunque Sally solo ha estado haciendo durante los últimos 9 años).

Ayer por la mañana, tuvimos la galleta de mantequilla de Strawberry Sally, otra de sus especialidades. ¡Estupendo! Y dijo que va a designar el miércoles como día de galleta de mantequilla especialmente para nosotros. Recientemente comencé a llamarla Strawberry Shortcake, pero supongo que cualquier cosa deliciosa que comience con "S" [especialmente en inglés] servirá.

SMILING SALLY.
SALLY SONRIENTE.
SALLY'S SOUP.
SOPA DE SALLY.
STRAWBERRY SALLY'S STUPENDOUS SHORTBREAD.  IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIST.
LA ESTUPENDA GALLETA DE MANTEQUILLA DE FRESA SALLY.  IMPOSIBLE DE RESISTIR.
WE ONLY HAD FIVE ... EACH.
SOLO TENÍAMOS CINCO ... CADA UNO.
DUDO, HIDING BEHIND A YUCCA YESTERDAY MORNING. BIRD PATROL!
DUDO, ESCONDIÉNDOSE DETRÁS DE UNA YUCA AYER POR LA MAÑANA. ¡PATRULLA DE PÁJAROS!

17 comments:

  1. ever faithful dudo, protecting his daddies from nasty birds!

    who can stop at just 5 on that shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne marie:
      I brought the plate back into the kitchen and told Sally I would inhale the entire thing if she didn't hide it from me.

      Delete
  2. Butternut squash......one of my favorite fall soups. This meal is right up my alley. Sally looks very nice and jolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mistress maddie:
      The soup was perfect. You would have loved it. Sally finds joy in what she does.

      Delete
  3. I was going to say, she looks good to have been doing it since 1887

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam:
      That's why I figured I'd better clarify. She looks good, but nobody looks THAT good.

      Delete
  4. If only I could be as easily entertained, if only I has the singular focus, of you cats, how much I could get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel:
      I expect to have a photo every day of Dudo monitoring that drain (and maybe sometimes Moose). Dudo never seems to forget anything.

      Delete
  5. You only had 5 shortbread each? You are underachievers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra:
      I had to take the plate into the kitchen or I definitely would have eaten every last one... which would have been fine with Sally!

      Delete
  6. Sally should be 'franchised' around the world!!
    Since I am a 'dunker' those shortcakes look perfect to me!!
    Dudo....one of these days your patience will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim:
      Oh, blech! I hate dunking. Soggy crumbs floating in the coffee! And, oh please let Dudo's patience NEVER pay off!

      Delete
  7. If I dined with you guys I'd need a golf cart just to move around in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen:
      They rent all sorts of mobility scooters just around the corner!

      Delete
  8. Uhhhmmmm, shortbread. Maybe I'll make some tomorrow. I usually make mine thicker, but perhaps try thinner after seeing Sally's. Dudo and Moose would probably be interested in "four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie", baking optional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma:
      I love thicker shortbread, too. I simply love shortbread. Jerry makes shortbread with a layer of lemon custard and raspberry jam on top. Dudo and Moose would love live blackbird pie! I'd tell Dudo about it, but he's concentrating in front of the drain right now!

      Delete
  9. My novice Spanish read this as a soup made from Sally, like say Melon Soup.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit www.movingwithmitchell.com if you would like to comment or stay up to date. I stopped posting here and reproduced all previous posts, as well, 25 September 2018. Thanks!!!